In A Pew

The excuse was his daughter's dance class was performing during the service, but the invitation to attend was genuine and real. I met at his house and we rode together, walking in holding hands with the kids and with each other. It was the first time in fifteen years I have sat next to a boy in church.

The kids were amazing and wonderful. His son wrapped himself around me and held me when we prayed. His daughter's dancing was as adorable as it had been at the performance just two nights prior. An arm across my shoulders during a sermon; a hand holding mine during prayer. A shared smile during the performance.

We talked about the sermon and the Sunday School lesson over lunch. And later, we both remarked how much sitting side by side in a pew meant to us.

It is no small thing to share a pew. It meant more to me than anything else we've done together. More to me than anything else ever could.

Comments

Katrina said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that way! I love sitting next to Paul on Sunday morning; there's something lovely beyond saying in coming before our Father together like that.
Jennifer said…
Oh Amy. My heart is melting for you :) I too love holding hands with someone special during the prayers, and love leaning on Michael during the sermon. He sounds like a wonderful father and a wonderful Christian man. He sounds perfect!!!!!
stacy said…
*sniff* i know exactly what you mean! excuse me while i go get a tissue...
Hillary said…
Yaay! So sweet. I've never thought about it, really, but yeah, there IS something about that, isn't there? (One day...!)

Popular Posts