The Last and a First

Today was the last day of school. My first last day in any real sort of teaching capacity and I found it to be hard. It was filled with hugs and "I'm going to miss you's" and lots and lots of love for the little ones in my building. And while I will miss terribly some of the second graders moving on to the next building, and I am not ready for the summer spent without the kids I've grown used to seeing every day, it was the absence of Pam that really made the day difficult. She was there to set up her class and to just barely get it started when she had to leave us all. And today I waved goodbye in the pouring rain to kids that might not even remember the five short days she spent as their first grade teacher.

Today was also a first. A dinner out with a new friend. A dinner that has been scheduled and canceled and rescheduled and postphoned and tonight, finally happened! And it was really wonderful. Full of good natured laughter and stories. Full of talk on every topic and while we are only just beginning a friendship, a feeling that we've known each other a very long time. It was a wonderful evening. One that we're already scheduling to repeat very soon.


Tomorrow I will be back to school. This time gearing up for summer school. I'll be busy with that and watching a hand full of kids this summer, including trips to the library, the park, the playground. I can't think of a better way to earn a buck.

If I'm not back to blog anytime soon, don't worry. I'm just out enjoying relationships in person this summer and not just over the internet. Sooner or later, however, something is bound to come up that is blog-worthy and I'll be sure to note it here.

In the meantime, I wish you all the bittersweet joy that comes when you know school is out for the summer. And all the bliss that comes from spending time with people that make you laugh and make you feel loved.

Happy Summer!

Comments

stacy said…
amy! how could you let me rattle on and on the other night without interupting me to tell me about this? i am interested in more details! ;o)

Popular Posts