Living Life on the Wild Side

I'm trying to decide what tattoo to get. It's a rather spur of the moment decision, but the timing is right and I want to take advantage of the opportunity.

I'm also thinking about a piercing of some variety. I've ruled out one in my navel. All those stretch marks would surely offend everyone who saw it. Maybe my lip? Or my eyebrow?

And I'm planning a vacation. Somewhere out of the country. Somewhere exotic. Dad has a timeshare in Mexico, but that seems too tame. I mean, if you're going to go for it, you really need to live it up, right? Maybe Argentina, or Zimbabwe, or perhaps Africa.

It's a lot to decide right now, but you see, I have this chance, and I just feel as though I should seize it! I went to give blood today and in answering the questions I shared that I had been accidentally poked by a used needle. One that we use to check the blood sugar of a Kindergarten student at my school. I was poked sometime this winter, I don't even remember now, but it was before I gave blood the last time because I remember talking about it with the woman who took my information then. She said it wasn't a problem. As it turns out, it is. A big one. Not only am I banned from giving blood for a year, but they have to track the blood I donated last time and monitor the patient that received it.

I am hoping beyond all hopes that they don't TELL that patient that there is reason to be concerned about the blood they received. I know we can never be too safe, but a little five year old girl from a very good home who happens to be diabetic just isn't really a big cause for alarm in my book.

But, now that I have a year of not being able to give blood, I figure I should take care of all the other things on the list of prohibited activities that would have otherwise banned me. So, a tattoo, a piercing, travelling somewhere exotic,...I'll leave the other questionable activities for someone else.

Okay, I'll admit, I'll leave all of these activities to someone else.

And I'll be more than just a little sad that I just started giving blood regularly and now I can't. But I'll be back next year. I've already marked it on my calendar.

Comments

Popular Posts