Heaven

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Heaven lately. We've had a couple sermons on the topic. I've read a book or two. And I've just been letting my mind wander to imagine what God might have in store for my eternity.

Tonight, I think I had a taste.

People asked why I had to drive all the way out to Crane's to pick peaches. We have roadside stands every where in Michigan with an abundance of fresh, local, produce, including my much-desired peaches. But Crane's has always been a near-spiritual experience for me each fall when we go to pick apples and I wanted the experience of picking peaches right off the tree.

Despite picking apples at orchards for years, nothing quite prepared me for the "awesomnosity" (to steal a word from Flash) of the peach orchard. It's the SMELL along with the feel, and the sun streaming through the branches. It's the gentleness of your touch as you pick each one. It's the juice running down my arm. It's looking around on a Tuesday night and feeling as if I was the only one present in the whole field.

I didn't have my camera with me, or you'd be blessed with a million shots, all fallling short of capturing even a fragment of the experience.

To top it off, as I went to pay with my debit card, as I always do when we pick apples at the orchard (easier to hold a card in my pocket than the cash required for all of our apples) the woman in charge politely informed me that the peach side of the orchard does not take debit cards. Being several dollars short of the cash I would need, I began to think back to where the nearest ATM was. Before I could even utter outloud that I'd be right back, the woman began writing on a piece of paper saying, "It's not a problem. You can mail me a check when you get home. Here's our address."

An angel. Well, of course, it is a piece of Heaven.

And so if you're wondering what Heaven might be like, might I suggest a trip to Crane's Orchard in Fennville, MI. For me, it's complete bliss.

Comments

Popular Posts