Bird Watching

The Mister and I have a pretty slow pace around the farm.  We have a few "must do's" and lots of "should do's" but in general, we limit the "have to's" as much as we can.  I could spend paragraphs justifying my leisure time on the porch on Sunday, but it doesn't really matter if I have good reason or not, our porch is one of my favorite places in the world.

Out back this week, we saw a heron.  The Mister spotted it first and I grabbed my camera as fast as I could as the herons tend to be very skittish and fly quickly.  This one was apparently of the same mindset we were as it stuck around and didn't seem to mind us opening windows to get a better picture.  In fact, when I finally said, "I wish it would fly so I could see its great wings," the Mister tried everything he could to get it to fly and it wasn't going to be bothered.

It finally decided it was time to go, but it didn't go far.
Apparently it thinks our house is a pretty cool place to hang out, too.

This goldfinch stopped by for a drink.
I didn't realize their beaks were orange until I looked at the picture later.  

I was super excited to see my first orioles this week!  I had actually been hearing their song for a couple days (not knowing what it was) before I saw them.  After seeing the first one, we went out and bought two feeders, hoping to entice them to stay.  

We've seen them a few times now on the birdbath and I hear them singing a little ways away, but so far, they haven't found our delicious jelly or nectar.
(The hummingbird doesn't mind having another stopping point, however!)

I loved this guy, who seemed to really enjoy his bath!

This mysterious bird still baffles me.  Not sure what it is.
Saw it several times but this was the only picture I was able to capture.
Any ideas?

Same with this bird.
So regal sitting on the branch, but I don't know what it is.
(I have so much to learn!)

The bluebirds have also made themselves at home here at the farm this year!
I've heard them singing and finally figured out they made a nest in one of the birdhouses!
We normally only see bluebirds for one day in very early spring when they come to eat all the berries off one of our shrubs and then they are gone.  I've put out a special dish of mealworms to welcome them to the neighborhood, but so far, they haven't discovered it.

Isn't this little guy adorable?


He came down from the branch to have a little bath.
Seems to be the going thing.

But perhaps most excited the last couple of days has been the fledgling cardinal.
We like to think it's the same one that hatched outside our bedroom window.
This guy is so fun to watch!  He chirps back and forth to Mr. Cardinal, who is busy getting seeds from the bird feeder.

Then dad comes and feeds the fledgling.
He tried and tried to land on the feeder, but just can't seem to stick the landing just yet.  

We so enjoy the cardinals, and watching this family this spring has delighted me so!

So, if you're in the neighborhood, stop by.  Pull up a chair or a branch and stay awhile!
We can spend hours just sitting, listening, watching and marveling at God's creatures!


Comments

Popular Posts