Puppy

Let me start by saying there is no creature in this world that could ever replace Eli.  We both still tear up at any reminder of our beloved dog.  An empty jar of peanut butter.  Being outside working in the yard.  Sometimes just walking in the door.  Even Charlotte lying in a certain place on the carpet.

But our hearts need another dog.  We are animal people and this farm just isn't complete without one.  I've had my heart set on a Bernedoodle for many many years, but they were financially out of reach.  For a long while, the only breeder I could even find of these adorable dogs was in Canada.  Not that I ruled that out as an option but having to get a passport just to get a puppy does seem a bit extreme.  Recently, however, I have found more and more breeders of Bernedoodles and the idea started to become slightly more realistic.

Last year friends of ours who have bred Bernese for years decided to breed Bernedoodles.  We were overjoyed until we heard the price tag.  Still out of reasonable reach for us.  But then I found a breeder, new to the scene who has the same quality of dog, but since she's just starting out, they aren't quite as costly.  With encouragement from my dear friend we sent off a deposit to hold our place in line for the next litter.  We also visited her when she had a litter last fall and got to see the pups and meet the parents. 

We got the news today that the puppies have been born.  We have yet to see pictures, but being second in line for picking rights, there is hope that we will get the color combination we were hoping for but we aren't yet certain if we will get a male or female (which just means I'm in a naming crisis!) While my heart will always ache for our amazing Eli (and I'm sure the challenges of training a puppy will make me miss how easy Eli always was), it's time for us to put another four paws in this house.  Sometime around mid-March our pup will come home.  We are excited beyond words!

I'll post pictures as soon as they are available!! 

Comments

Popular Posts