What You Didn't Know

Whether it's on the porch, couch, in the car or at the counter eating together, we are often side by side.  Even seated at a table in a restaurant, we always sit in adjoining seats.  I only realized today when we chose a booth at lunch, how rarely I sit directly across from you.

The restaurant was all-but deserted, which meant my people-watching was limited to the man seated across from me.  That's not a complaint in the least, in fact, it felt more like a date than a quick bite on a Tuesday afternoon while we were out for a Jeep ride.

It was your eyes that caught my attention.  While I know they are green, they seemed today to be especially iridescent.  Maybe it was the blue of your shirt, or the sunlight through the window, I don't know, but they just seemed to have more than the usual amount of twinkle.  The well-earned laugh lines touch me to my core.  I always wanted someone to grow old with, and those beautiful lines are evidence that you are doing that very thing with me.

Your face is full of sunshine - a mix of tan and pink from the sun.  You lift your cap just the way my granddad used to - the only other farmer I ever loved.  Your arms, full of poison ivy and raspberry scratches will always mark you as a hard working man.  Your already-worn ring gives the impression that we've loved each other far longer than we have - a sentiment I've felt since the day I met you.

You eat with passion.  Every morsel is savored, and you have this look when a particularly delicious bite touches your lips.  With the simplest of lines, "I would never abandon a sandwich!" you make me laugh from the pit of my soul.  Your humor is easy, fun and welcomed.

These are the moments I hope to remember forever, the feelings I wish I could bottle.  This is how I fall in love with you again and again.

And you thought we were just having lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts