...in 36 hours at the hospital that was't covered in our pre-marital counseling sessions:
1. When you are looking forward to a weekend of no school work, just relaxing together, be careful what you wish for.
2. It's time to update our In Case of Emergency numbers.
3. The nurses in the ER will be skeptical when you say, "I am his fiancée" when you are wearing a cable tie for a ring, if you have to look at your cell phone to know his number and if you have no idea if he is still seeing Dr. Bourne or not.
4. Scrabble is entertaining. For about an hour.
5. Sitting down and watching a movie sounds great when you are home on the couch. It is torture when you are stuck in a hospital bed.
6. Despite their admonishments to get some rest, the nursing staff will be the very ones who prevent a good night's sleep by insisting on blood draws and blood pressure checks every hour.
7. Eavesdropping on conversations in the ER, hallways and elevators will make you count your blessings every time.
8. A homemade turkey salad sandwich never tasted so good after hospital food.
9. Having patience is only required of one of you. It actually works well to alternate, as it keeps the nursing staff guessing and keeps them on their toes when either of you approach their station with a question.
10. Most importantly, we learned how lucky we are to have someone there. While all tests came back negative and we leave with the comfort of a healthy bill of slate, it means even more to know when there are issues down the road, we will be there with each other and for each other.